Do you need a fence installed in Haddon Heights New Jersey? Look no further for the best fence company in South Jersey.
Haddon Heights is a borough in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough’s population was 7,473, reflecting a decline of 74 (-1.0%) from the 7,547 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 313 (-4.0%) from the 7,860 counted in the 1990 Census.
Haddon Heights was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 2, 1904, from portions of the now-defunct Centre Township and parts of Haddon Township. Haddon Heights is a dry town where alcohol cannot be sold. The borough was named for Elizabeth Haddon, an early settler of the area.
New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Haddon Heights as the 98th best place to live in New Jersey in its 2008 rankings of the “Best Places To Live” in New Jersey, and the borough has also been listed among its “Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia” by the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission. In 2011, New Jersey Monthly named Haddon Heights the second best town to live in Southern New Jersey, after Moorestown Township.
The land that was to become Haddon Heights was settled in 1699 by John Hinchman. In 1713, John Siddon built a farmhouse near Hinchman’s property. John Thorn Glover dammed King’s Run and constructed a mill race and fulling mill on this property before 1776. Jacob Hinchman built a frame dwelling no later than 1720 that was later enlarged by American Revolutionary War hero Col. Joseph Ellis. It is currently referred to as the Col. Joseph Ellis House. New Jersey governor Joseph Bloomfield later purchased this property.
In 1890, Benjamin A. Lippincott constructed a passenger station in the center of his land for the Atlantic City Railroad. Then Lippincott, with Charles Hillman, filed a grid street plan with Camden County to develop a community. They named it Haddon Heights because of its proximity to Haddonfield and its high elevation. Large houses were constructed that appealed to prosperous middle-class families moving from the cities. In 1904, Haddon Heights was incorporated as a borough and Lippincott was elected mayor. A small downtown grew near the railroad and the White Horse Pike and eight churches and a synagogue were built. An area of old Centre Township, known as Fairfield Estates, voted in 1926 to become part of Haddon Heights. This land was developed for more single-family housing through the 1940s and 1950s. Even though rail passenger service was suspended in July 1965, Haddon Heights remains a typical turn-of-the-twentieth-century railroad suburb with tree-shaded streets and comfortable homes.